North Devon Voluntary Services is an independent charity based in Barnstaple, providing support and specialist advice to voluntary organisations and social enterprises in our local area.
Our mission is to strengthen and champion the work of local organisations by representing, developing and supporting voluntary and community action. Ultimately, we help those who do good, do better!
Here you can find an overview of our services, useful information and resources, and our latest news. You can also see details of workshops, forums and events we have planned for those working in the voluntary sector.
We want our website to be a hub for anyone working in or supporting North Devon’s voluntary sector, so don’t hesitate to let us know ways in which we can make it useful to you.
Who are North Devon Voluntary Services?
Championing the work of local voluntary and community organisations is our main mission, working closely with the many groups which make life better for everyone who lives in North Devon.
The North Devon Voluntary Services aims are:
To support voluntary and community group development and capacity building in North Devon, so that:,
- charities and social enterprises are enabled to secure income, improve joint working, and develop new services.
- voluntary and community organisations have the practical information they need to operate effectively.
- communities are supported to set up and develop structures and projects that enable them to run community services successfully.
To support volunteering so that:
- voluntary and community organisations are enabled to recruit and retain sufficient volunteers for existing and new services and to manage these volunteers to a high standard.
- communities are supported to provide self-help.
- volunteers and potential volunteers are enabled to improve their skills and life chances.
To support improved communication and networks so that:
- voluntary and community organisations have appropriate information about policy and strategy that affects them.
- voluntary and community organisations are enabled to work effectively together.
- the voluntary, public and private sectors are well-networked and supported to engage with one another and work effectively together.
- the contribution of the voluntary sector to North Devon is recognised by the general public, media and local politicians, and is taken into account in planning and decision making.
For more information about networks go to Forums.